Saturday 3 May 2014

Flatpacks, Anthologies and Interviews



The Sillitoe Workspace at
Nottingham Writers Studio
I’ve been knee deep in allen keys and instruction booklets this week while helping to build the writing workspace in the new Nottingham Writers’ Studio – transforming a derelict pram shop into a new focal point for writers in the city is a lot of work and dedication, but it’s worth the effort, and coming together brilliantly.

It’s been fantastic to see the reaction of people as they come to visit the space for the first time (thank you for calling in, Paula Rawsthorne) and it’s exciting to see new people see the potential of the space as we get closer to our launch event later this month.
 
Which is why I’ve only just managed to blog about next week’s reading at Leicester SF Festival – and why I’ve only just started to get nervous about it…

I’ll be reading The Black Glass, my short story in the new Boo Books Anthology of post-technology tales, After The Fall. I’ve read work at the festival before, and the crowd are always really friendly and receptive to writers they may not have heard before, so I’m really looking forward to it. I just hope they won’t ask me a tricky question in the Q&A session.
After the Fall from Boo Books, featuring The Black Glass


Sarah Dale, author of Bolder and Wiser
Being interviewed about your work is tricky, but interviewing someone about their work can be even trickier – so I’m choosing my questions for Sarah Dale very carefully when I head back to Waterstones Nottingham and talk to Sarah about Bolder and Wiser, her collection of interviews with women aged sixty and older.

So… if I plan to be kind to Sarah in the evening, will the festival goers at Leicester be kind to me earlier in the day? Should I be thinking about timeslippery shenanigans like this, or should I get on with writing? I think we all know the answer to the last one…

Tickets are still available for both events!
If you’d like to join us at Leicester SF Festival, click here.

If you’d like to join us at Waterstones Nottingham, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment