Sunday 17 April 2011

Threads

I've been discussing Hidden Daughter with a relative this weekend - now the book is finished, I feel I can properly talk about it without being cagey. I'd called them because I'm looking for an image that reflects one of the recurring parts of the story - Penny embroidering her Account, an essential part of a time-travellers wardrobe.
As we chatted about how it was used, and it's importance to Penny, my relative made a reference to something she designed, and how that was important to them.

At the same time, I've seen this amazing dress made of picture books online- the common thread running between them all was memory- how we assemble memories, how we create new ones with objects we find around us.  And most importantly, how some memories (like the much-loved Golden Books that make the dress) are shared.  And how some memories, although recorded, remain unexplained.

The interesting thing about Penny's handiwork is that unlike the other items I discussed and saw this weekend, her work hides inside the lining, away from public view.  Finding out why is what happens when you begin to read the story of the Hidden Daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment