Wednesday 7 July 2010

Expect the unexpected

The interesting thing about having your work critiqued by other people is that you never expect the most interesting thing they say...

I've just had my short film screenplay excellently critiqued by Derbyshire Scriptwriters - there were a lot of positives that came out of the session, and some really useful comments which showed me what I thought was clear as day on the page... well, it wasn't.  But this is what it's all about - I might have come up with the same conclusions, I may not - but when several people all tell you the same thing about your work, you get a little look into what the audience might be thinking if the film was shot from the current script, and as a writer who wants people to say they enjoyed the story, it's invaluable.

By the end of the crit, I knew what I could do to make it work harder, and I began to make notes to make it an even better short screenplay - then came the googly:

'You know I think this could be a lot better as a full length feature.'

I'm gonna need a bigger boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment