Another milestone week - I've completed edits for Coalface, my YA Victorian adventure novel, after three weeks of intensive rewrites (there's always rewrites) and editing, while the rain fell and the sun shone outside, turning the back garden into a small jungle. But now, we're done. Spellchecked, backed up, saved. Properly done.
It's a strange time. I've spent a long time walking with the fantastic characters in the book, putting their hopes, fears, actions and reactions down on paper; but at some point, that has to stop. I expected to feel a little anxiety about stepping out of my hero's amazing Victorian world, but the truth is, we've only just started.
Two glasses of very pleasant red wine and a page of scribbles later, the second book is underway. New horizons to explore, new people to meet, new challenges to be faced.
Meanwhile, the grass outside is knee deep, and needs a cut; so I'd better get it sorted. Well soon, anyway.